Oct 6, 2015

motherhood // Navy at 8/9 months

“Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so."
― Mary Jean Irion

This beautiful quote was on one of my favourite blogs the other day. It resonates with me so deeply, particularly about life right now. That Navy is already 9 and a bit months old is so hard to believe. On one hand, I'm amazed at how fast it feels like those 9 months have gone by. But on the other, I'm overwhelmed with gratitude for all of the normal days she and I have shared since she arrived and what treasures each and every one of them are. 

Life with baby is a beautiful and tricky thing. It's this monumental shift in the everyday. Your world turned upside down with renewed emphasis on this little soul who, though new to you, is more familiar and more precious than you could have ever imagined. It's making every sacrifice but being willing to sacrifice a million things more. It can sometimes feel like hard work and be tiring, but then again energizing and motivating all at once. 

I sometimes used to think I had to 'achieve' certain things to actualize my worth. Before Navy I often found myself focusing on whether I was 'doing enough', 'working enough', 'earning enough', 'accomplishing enough', 'creating enough'…like there might be some moment in the future where I would know I had done enough. Enough of these things I thought were important. It's not that anyone in my life made me feel this way though….just for some reason, I made myself feel this way. Voluntarily, even though I knew better. But since she arrived, it's like I see things a lot more clearly and I am better able to act on my intentions. Her presence in my life, and my relationship with her has really opened my eyes and affirmed my convictions of what is truly important and worth prioritizing. 

Cold morning walks through the forest, Lincoln and his friends blazing the trail ahead, Navy nestled safely against my chest while I enjoy conversation with a great friend. Hot coffee steaming beside me as I fold laundry in a quiet house while my baby and puppy nap. Turning off the TV and getting lost in playtime with a little girl whose little mind is expanding by the second. Running errands while she babbles in the back seat about some story I can't wait to understand. Watching her practice her waving on every person who walks out of the rain and into Starbucks while we savour a visit with a dear friend. Holding on tight to heartfelt Navy hugs that linger a little longer as bedtime approaches. Washing dishes with Ryan as I reenact Navy's most darling and hilarious moments of the day. Being mindful to save some of my very best energy to catch up with him and reconnect after a long day apart. 

The normal day. It's my treasure and it is the priority. In it's precious moments my life will be lived and if with intention, lived well. Going to do my best to remember this comforting and encouraging thought, especially when the 'normal day' might feel difficult, rushed or even monotonous. 


NAVY AT 8/9 MONTHS








Little Navy you continue to light our lives up and you bring a smile to everyone who crosses your path. You're waving to people to say hi everywhere we go. When we're out and I say "let's send a picture to daddy…say hi!" you smile at the camera and wave your little heart out. He loves getting those pictures and videos of you throughout the day. 

You're crawling everywhere, pulling yourself up on the couches and coffee tables exploring the world around you. Sometimes you even let go of your chosen support and just stand there unaware that you're actually standing all on your own. Eventually you crumple down on to your bottom or in rarer and rather coordinated instances, grab hold of your anchor before falling.

You babble and squeak your way throughout the day. Sometimes you engage me in conversations, and other times you just take in my words with twinkly smiling eyes. You're so alert and rarely miss a thing. At home, you still take 2-3 naps a day but when we're out for the day you've been known to go 12 hours without a nap so you don't miss anything. To your credit, sweet girl, you don't get cranky or unmanageable on those crazy days. Just tired, but still so pleasant which always amazes me for a baby your age.

You're still nursing frequently throughout the day and eating so much food these days and yet you are the longest, leanest little bean! You are so tall and so slender, I can't find pants that fit you to save my life haha. I've now resorted to tights for babies half your age and fiiiiiinally we can see those cute, shapely little legs under all your outfits instead of them swimming in a swath of fabric with a baggy waste band that always falls down. Such a funny 'problem' to have, but I guess I was the same as a baby. History repeating itself ;)

It is a pleasure to spend my days with you little lady. I love being your mama more than I could have ever imagined and each day just gets better and better ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painted & Polished. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.